Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Books I'm Reading

I am currently reading 3 new books all at the same time. I never really read a book for fun until after I graduated college. In school I rarely read the books I was supposed to in class and I always managed to avoid reading textbooks. I never even knew that reading could be fun until I started reading after college. The Left Behind series and the Narnia series got me going and turned me into a reading machine. I feel smarter when I read. My vocabulary is better, my writing is better, my thinking is clearer. I'm not sure what it is, but I just feel better when I am reading. I often go through periods of time where I'm not reading and I quickly realize that my eyes and mind have to be re-trained in reading. Starting is the hardest part, but once I start, there is no stopping me.

I am currently reading the following.

Bury My Heart in Wounded Knee - Dee Brown



Its no secret that I am obsessed with Indians as noted in this previous post. Unlike when I was in school, I am now fascinated with history, at least the parts of history that I am interested in. Marcus Mumford recommended this book to me. This is the book that I read on my lunch break.



Green - Ted Dekker




I'm a huge Dekker fan. He is getting a little crazy with tying all characters from all books together all the time, but I still love it. This is supposed to be the Pr equal/Sequel to the Circle Series. This is the book I read at night at home.


A Paddling of Ducks - Marjorie Blain Parker / Illustrated by Joseph Kelly




I first found out about this book when Lydia brought it home from the Library. The illustrations are top notch. I love the idea of the book. Sure enough I got it as a gift at Christmas. Now I read it every couple days to Lydia or even by myself.


Bottom Line - Having fun isn't hard, when you have a library card

2 comments:

... said...

Me too, me too!

I am fascinated by history and have read TONS about Native Americans, especially during the period of Western expansion. I need to go look up some of those titles. I wish I still had the books for you to read - one about the Trail of Tears, and one about the children removed from their families and sent to boarding schools, their hair cut and clothes changed, in an effort to Americanize them. Heartbreaking stuff.

I have children's books too, if you ever want to read anything about NA with Lydia!

The things we learn about people we've known for two years - just by reading their blog!!

Anonymous said...

Reading is awesome! I love that you're an avid reader now.