Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer Olympics



I am currently suffering from post Olympic depression. I now have no reason to stay up till midnight on weeknights. I was completely captivated and engrossed in every second of coverage of the Summer Olympics this year. The intensity and suspense is thrilling.

I have always been a huge fan of both the Summer and Winter Olympics. It is something that only happens once every four years with representation from every country in the world. Unlike other sports, the competition is short and sweet and truly represents the best athlete at specific events (except for women's uneven bars and that lame tiebreaker). Other sports do not have this kind of competitive importance. The NFL, MLB, & NBA all have long seasons with many games in a season where teams with below 500 records can make the playoffs. The NFL is the most popular of the three because it has the shortest season. The closest thing to the Olympics is the Soccer World Cup. I am not a soccer fan, but I get into the World Cup. College Football is also similar to the Olympics and World Cup. Not having a playoff system in College Football is the best thing that could happen for sports fans. Every game counts.

The Olympics count. One race, one match, one game, one performance. Gold, Silver, Bronze. Four years of training to compete against the best of the best of planet earth. How is that not fun to watch.

Bottom Line - The Olympics are more than just a competition. It brings the world into unity for 16 days.

2 comments:

steg stories said...

you mean you don't stay up watching the political conventions?

The Zone of Zakness said...

seriously dude. tell me about it. it was the best 2.5 weeks of my life this year.