Sunday, August 3, 2008

back up fool

About a year and a half ago, I converted to the dark side and purchased a macbook as shown below. I had just come from a PC that became inoperable due to the power supply melting. I became addicted to mac, and was relieved that all of my computer problems were behind me. I even took to bragging about mac and rubbing it in to PC users that I never have any problems.



Then last Thursday I was making a routine file switch and all of the sudden. BAM! A message came up telling me to restart by holding the button down. So I followed the directions and all I ended up with was a flashing folder with a question mark. My next step was to go make an appointment with a mac genius in the store. When it was finally my turn I showed them what was going on and right away the dude looked at me and said, "Oh yeah, your hard drive has failed". When I asked him what caused it his genius cop out answer was this, "Hard drives fail, sometimes they fail right out of the box, and sometimes they last ten years" Thanks for the sympathy Pal. Luckily I had the apple care so they hooked me up with a new hard drive and upgraded me with the latest and greatest operating system and all that garb.

The one question the dude asked me was this. "You do back up all your stuff right?" My answer was this. "I have a mac, I don't have to back up" Boy was I wrong. I lost all my wedding pictures, my Hawaii honeymoon pictures, pictures of my baby girl, and over 7,000 songs from my itunes library and much more.

Bottom Line - Life is unpredictable. Take care of the important stuff. Preserve the memories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What ate your big Mac?

The Zone of Zakness said...

look into a hard drive and time machine - on the new mac operating system. it will change your life.

steg stories said...

after listening to you and Zak crying about your hard drives failing--Did you consider it could possibly be user error?