Monday, June 25, 2012

Information Vs. Transformation

About a month or two ago I was rocked with a statement that stunned me into a deep thought process in which I fully examined my current method of operation against that statement.  After a couple months of reflection, discussion, and adaptation, I think that I have begun the process of being aware of the statement.  The statement was as follows.

"We as followers of Jesus should value transformation over information."  I'm not sure if that was the word for word quotation, but it came from Chuck Mingo in a sermon series at Crossroads studying the book of James.  Also at the same time of that series I happened to be reading through "Present Perfect" by Greg Boyd with my small group.  A part of that book pretty much highlights that whole idea from James about intentional application of information leading to or translated to transformation.

I was stunned for several reasons.  One being that as of late, I have turned into an information junkie.  I have been  soaking up information from so many sources.  I've read 15 books since January, I've been reading through the Old Testament on a year reading plan, Music, TV, Movies, you name it, I've been sort of obsessed with gaining information.  I've even been known to spend hours on Wikipedia just reading and clicking relatable links in an endless forward progression of gaining information.  Too bad I didn't have this passion when I was in school.

My big realization was that I was inputting all kinds on information, but not much was being outputted. I was learning and gaining information, but there was no action.  In a spiritual sense I was understanding more things, but not obeying.  I really took this realization to heart in my faith.  A previous realization for me was being congruent in my life by living and being the same in all facets of life.  Now I realized that I had read the book of James what felt like a million times, yet I wasn't doing anything.  If faith equals belief plus action, I was only at a 50% on faith.  I realize that I can be hard on myself, and that I'm sure that I was doing things in response to my faith, but I just realized that it may have been a little too much auto pilot instead of being fully aware and present.

The response has been varied.  I am now more selective at what information I am inputting.  This does not mean that I only read the Bible and listen to Christian music and do not watch TV or movies.  I think that inspiration comes from all things around me, and can be turned into action.  I have just started paying closer attention.  For example:  Earlier in the year I read a biography on Jim Brown (Football Player).  He had a great athletic career, had some off field issues, and struggles, but what I most pulled out from the book was his dedication to making his community better.  I in turn was inspired to make my own community better, but not having a clue how to do so.  In short, I started with availability.  Now I'm drifting, but that was an example of taking information and turning it into transformation with the value of importance being on the transformation in lieu of the information.

I find myself taking more notes, making more plans, and most impact full has been discussing the information with others.  Talking to people both one on one or in groups about what we are reading, watching, or listening to has become a passion of mine.  Finding out what is inspiring others, and sharing what is inspiring me, and what the plan of action based on this inspiration (information) can look like together or individually ultimately leading to transformation and growth.

Bottom Line - What you put into your mind and body, usually comes out through your actions and personality.

No comments: