This month I experienced something that I have never experienced before in my lifetime. It was the first time in my life that I was without electric power for more than 24 hours. I consider myself one of the lucky victims of Cincinnati's version of Hurricane Ike. I was only without power for 48 hours. It seemed like an eternity. My brother happened to be over my house on Sunday when the power was out and as we were sitting around waiting for the darkness to surround us, he made a profound statement. He said, "Wouldn't it be cool if the power never came back on?" I thought about it for a second and said, "Yeah, that would be cool, but all that stuff would be useless" I was pointing to the part of my family room which has the TV, stereo, DVD player, DVDs, VCR, VCR tapes, Nintendo Wii, CDs, record player, and records.
Imagine a world where we don't have to watch political commercials, we don't have to know what Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan did over the weekend. Although we would lose a lot of stuff that we cherish, it is hard to make a case for what we really need. A refrigerator, yes, a TV, no.
During the blackout, Lydia, Jess, and I had a fire in the back, cooked all of our meet and ate outside by the fire.


Bottom Line - The blackout caused me to think about the things in my daily life that will always be there, power or not.
1 comment:
I'll take a chicken sandwich with mayo, tomato, and onion. Now i'm starving
Post a Comment